7.1.08

Thoughts from today's walk

I was going to record them here, but I can't remember them with all the static in my head right now. I am participating in "online discussion group" for my interim class. Only about 30 minutes of discussion left, then I have to read the packet for next week because next week I'm the one facilitating. There are so many of these things right now that seem like hoops that I just can't wait to get through and be done with. So much of this seems like it wouldn't have to be done if the screening process for the intellect, sensitivity, and open-mindedness in the teaching field was better. Not that I have any suggestions worth mentioning.

Anyway...what was I thinking??

OH--that my new iPod (can't wait to tell you the name of it, but it's a verbal thing that wouldn't make much sense here) might actually be sensing my mood and might do that even better if I only ever play it in "shuffle" mode.

OH--and then I thought up a good stump for a story. My coworker, Marie, saw a woman standing on the "high bridge" in St. Paul the other week. She remembers wondering to herself what this chick was doing. She saw her throw a rock over the edge. She pondered the fact that the high bridge is a destination for suicide (well, the river below more than the bridge, really). She noted "people don't just stop on that bridge, especially in the winter...I mean, you see people walking over it in the summer, but..." The next day she read in the newspaper that a woman had committed suicide the day before. She doesn't know whether it was the woman she saw...or what she would have said as she drove by.

So I'm thinking as I walk up to another bridge over the Mississippi today--but what about weirdos like me who actually do stop on the bridge in the winter? Then I thought, wouldn't it be great to write a story that began with someone standing on a bridge wearing a t-shirt with the following printed across the back: "I am not going to jump. I just like to watch the river."

Love you.

1 comment:

2 of 2 said...

ok, ps - this would make a hell of a character moment: a t-shirted gal watching the river, letting everyone know she's not a jumper. i know i'm a week or few late, but i've been thinking about this for a while, trying to figure out how to get it into a short. it'd be a great moment of sad hilarity. is that a state of emotion? sad hilarity? would that simply count as irony? fah! i dunno.

i DO know that walks are good for such ponderings. i trucked this butt up around 30 blocks today. and the thoughts just started thinking. tho they stop when buddy holly's singin. cuz i just gotta sing along in my head. so strangers don't think i'm a nutter.